Thursday, August 21, 2008

R.I.P. LeRoi Moore... and how i came to love DMB


Anyone who's anyone, to me.... Anyone who has only known me for five minutes, 5 seconds, for any timeframe at all KNOWS my obsession with Dave Matthews Band.

And anyone who has attended a concert with me (Kristen, Brian mostly) will know my obsession with playing invivible instruments, and the saxaphone was one of my favorites....

Tuesday night I was checking Perez, as usual, before I was going to bed and this was where I saw that the top post stated R.I.P. to LeRoi Moore of DMB.
"No!" I wouldn't belive it! Actually I coudln't belive it. I was immediatly sad, and sent out texts to every Dave fan I knew... I didn't know what to do... I can only attibute my saddness to what any Dead Head would have felt the day they learned that Jerry Garcia had died....
It was my dad who introduced me to DMB. Growing up he had us listening to The Dead and CCR, and when I was poking through his CD collection one day in 1998 looking for new music to try out, I stumbled upon this CD by a band I had never heard of before ( I can actually remember the exact moment that I found the CD and the first time I ever listened to it; who knew what a major part of my life this band was to become) .. the Cd was ------> Under the Table and Dreaming. I have the same CD in my car to this day. A week doesn't go by that I don't play it through at least once. It was my Dad's CD, and it was My dad who took me to my first concert that summer (and the one and only year I didn't share my DMB expierience with Kristen), and from that day on, I have not missed one summer tour in state. I have always dreaded the moment that i learned that there would be no summer tour. It has become a major staple in my life...
And if the Summer Tours do continue....I can't imagine looking up at the stage not seeming every member there.


photo taken by Me: 6/13/2008
Dodge Music Center
This summer I was lucky enough to be in the seats at one of the shows right before LeRoi's accident, and I was able to see him play............


I feel as if I know each member personally, It sounds crazy, I know. But no matter what I have been thhrough, there is a song, or an album that will cater to those needs. I have seen them in concert so many times, and each time I say, "this was way better than the last one."

I'm so sad for The Band, and for his family, and I feel like a part of my own family is gone......

Photo Courtesy of DMBAND.COM


1 comment:

Mrs. G. said...

I love DMB too. I was so sad to hear about LeRoi's passing. The band will never be the same without him.